You must audit your budget from the previous year in order to apply for the following year's annual budget. This means tracking every expenditure and deposit to your account. This should be kept track of in an excel file which will be attached to the annual budget application.
The annual budget for the 2020-2021 year will be officially available on February 17th, 2020. Starting on that date, please go to this link (http://cglink.me/s25940) to fill out your annual budget request. Once you get to the end of the survey, please download and attach this form to document your requested line items.
After submitting your annual budget request, you can go back to that link at any time to check for updates. You will be able to see the stage of review your organization is on, as well as comments and adjustments made by SOFC. The application will close at midnight on March 17th, 2020. Hearings will be held at the end of March into April. Please keep in mind the following things before starting:
You must be either the treasurer or president of your organization on www.DukeGroups.com in order to fill out an annual budget request. If you are not currently listed on DukeGroups, please do this well in advance of annual budgeting.
You must be an SOFC Chartered group to receive an annual budget. Recognized groups do not have access to the annual budget.
New Groups are capped at a maximum of $1,000 for their first year of operation.
For all line items you request, please use as much detail as possible. The more detail, the better. We want to know what the item is, how many people will benefit or use it, how often it will be used, why it needs to be replaced, how its cost breaks down, and anything else relevant.
The annual budget awards funds for 3 primary areas:
1. Capital Expenditures: Any item which is kept over time by your group classifies as a capital expenditure. This includes things like costumes for dance groups, technical equipment for engineering groups, service items for service groups, etc.
2. Group only events: This includes conference costs, 1 general body meeting per semester, and general costs associated with
3. Recurring or annual expenses: This includes costs such as national dues (for organizations), website costs, marketing costs for non-event specific marketing, etc.
If a line item does not fall under one of the above categories, it will most likely not be funded. Furthermore, keep in mind that anything which would be funded under yearly programming will not be funded in the annual budget.
Within the annual budget form, there are 7 categories within which you can request funding:
1. Travel and Lodging: We will subsidize flights, car travel and other ground transport, and hotels and other lodging. Hotels are subsidized at $125 / person. In general, flights are subsidized at $200 / person but are dependent on location.
2. Registration/Attendance Fees: We will provide funding for fees and expenses related to conferences or other events your group wishes to attend. Once again, this item may be subsidized.
3. Dues: We may choose to subsidize national dues for your group.
4. Equipment, Tools, and Other Capital Expenditures: We will fund capital expenditures your group needs to use and keep over the long term.
5. Marketing: We will fund year-round, non-programming related marketing expenses. This includes generic banners used by your group and website fees.
6. Retreats: We will fund one retreat per semester, at $20 / person maximum.
7. Other: This should be used very sparingly for unique exceptions. A vast majority of what SOFC funds in the annual budget falls under one of the other sections listed above. If there is a line item you feel is important to your group that does not fall under one of the above categories, please add it to this section and explain in detail why it is needed.
Note that while we try to fund as much as possible in the annual budget, we cannot guarantee to fund anything specifically. Every year we receive almost 2-3 times as much in requests as we have funds available, and so we do our best to distribute funding as fairly as possible.
If you have any questions about the guidelines, please do not hesitate to email SOFC Chair Devin Mahoney.
You must audit your budget from the previous year in order to apply for the following year's annual budget. This means tracking every expenditure and deposit to your account. This will be done through the disclosure of your FundCode account expenditures.